V4 Exhaust Note

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dozerpilot

Reaction score
What does this sound like with an aftermarket system? I'm worried about it making some wierd drone sound. I've got the 5.3 and was thinking about a single Flowmaster Super 44 with 3" pipe and 3.5" or 4" tip. Opinions, and/or experiences please.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a drone, that's gonna depend on which system you get (like some flowmasters), and it's likely gonna drone whether in 4 or 8. The V4 is noticeable without the resonator, but it's not bad or anything. It's more like a different rythm and pitch. Doesn't bother me at all, in fact I like knowing when it changes without having to look at the dash. It's subtle enough that you might not catch it if you're not paying attention.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really only hear it when there's a slight load on the engine and it sort of sounds like a very muffled Jake brake.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, that's a good description 'muffled jake brake'. Yeah, that's what is sounds like when it changes to V4 mode.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I liked that description too. He put all my ramblings in a word.

dozerpilot

Reaction score
Cool, I can live with that! Thanks for the reassurance. I didn't want to pay a bunch for a bolt on system that a lot of people might already have. I like to set up my own exhaust, and have a shop do the bending and welding to my specs (they really love me standing over their shoulder). I was a little worried that it may sound like a fart can or something. I just traded my 04 Hemi with true duals and 40 Series Flowmasters for the Tahoe. I'm dying to have some sound again.

I heard good things about Aeroturbine mufflers form my days cruising the Dodge forums. Has anybody tried one on a newer 5.3? Their mufflers have a unique tone, but it was sweet from the sound clips I heard.