Well my Tahoe got broken into....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of you may remember my recent threads about getting my AVIC Z3 installed. Well I had it less than a week and I walk outside this morning to go to work and it is completely ripped out of my dash. Anyway, I'm beyond pissed and wondering what in the world I'm going to do now. This is the second time in 3 months my car has been broken into so obviously I need a security system. I don't know if I'll put the navigation unit back in or not. It was a defective unit so I was waiting for a new one from the warehouse anyways, but now I doubt they will just give me the new one without me giving them back the defective one. It makes me not want to put it back in becuase I feel it will just get stolen again... Anyway, I'm just venting abit. But if I've learned one thing, I need a badass security system. Is there a security system out there that could have even prevented this? I'm just glad they didn't take my rims and tires. Can anyone recommend a good alarm system that isn't thousands of dollars? Thanks for listening!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man. Lowlifes have nothing better to do. An alarm system isn't going to be 100% effective, but is definitely going to better your chances of keeping your vehicle and belongings more secure. Sometimes the single alarm siren isn't gong to stop a determined thief. I added 15 sirens to my alarm system and hooked up my stock horn. It's so freakin' loud that no one is going to stick around to finish the job. I also tied the system in to flash my fog lights and turn on my brights whenever it is set off. Someone tried a few months back, but they triggered the alarm then ran off. You don't need an expensive alarm. You can get a good DEI system (Clifford, Viper, Python, etc) for under $300 installed. Add a couple sensors like glass break and motion, then add a few extra sirens to help scare off the thieves. A digital tilt sensor will set the alarm off if someone tries to jack up the truck and steal the wheels. Also look into the two-way systems with a paging remote that will alert you when the vehicle has been tampered with.
Once again, sorry to hear what happened, especially being that you just installed the new Z3. Good luck on everything.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of you may remember my recent threads about getting my AVIC Z3 installed. Well I had it less than a week and I walk outside this morning to go to work and it is completely ripped out of my dash. Anyway, I'm beyond pissed and wondering what in the world I'm going to do now. This is the second time in 3 months my car has been broken into so obviously I need a security system. I don't know if I'll put the navigation unit back in or not. It was a defective unit so I was waiting for a new one from the warehouse anyways, but now I doubt they will just give me the new one without me giving them back the defective one. It makes me not want to put it back in becuase I feel it will just get stolen again... Anyway, I'm just venting abit. But if I've learned one thing, I need a badass security system. Is there a security system out there that could have even prevented this? I'm just glad they didn't take my rims and tires. Can anyone recommend a good alarm system that isn't thousands of dollars? Thanks for listening!

Sorry to hear about that man. I know it hurts, I had my Crown Vic broken into before I traded it in for my Tahoe. I'm also looking for a security alarm that will be "Bad Ass" before I put the major mods on (i.e. Rims).

I think I found my solution and maybe you might want to check it out too. I'm going to purchase the Python 872 which is the same as the Viper 5701 and Clifford RSX 3.3. There are SO MANY additions you can add to this alarm.

Go to: http://www.viper.com/BuildYourSystem/ and select the Viper 5701 and go from there. I will warn you though it can get expensive but hey I rather pay the price in an alarm then repairs because of multiple break-ins. Plus I am on ebay right now pricing the acessories (which are brand new and waayy cheaper) only problem is that you have to find someone who will install it for you (most won't install if you didn't buy it from them- insurance and warranty reasons). Make sure you get the XpressKit Programmable Platform for your vehicle. Should be the # 01: Door Lock & Alarm Interface.

I see they have a new alarm up also: 5901, but I haven't researched this one yet. Oh yeah I forgot this alarm is a 2-way and remote start.

Hope this helps.

(Oh yeah this is my first post! :D)

Last edited:

omar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely go with a 2 way remote system.... how did they break in? did they punch your key hole in? did they break glass?

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely go with a 2 way remote system.... how did they break in? did they punch your key hole in? did they break glass?

Punched in the keyhold. Second time it has happend in 3 months,I got lucky the first time and nothing got stolen. It seems so easy for them to break in....

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man. Lowlifes have nothing better to do. An alarm system isn't going to be 100% effective, but is definitely going to better your chances of keeping your vehicle and belongings more secure. Sometimes the single alarm siren isn't gong to stop a determined thief. I added 15 sirens to my alarm system and hooked up my stock horn. It's so freakin' loud that no one is going to stick around to finish the job. I also tied the system in to flash my fog lights and turn on my brights whenever it is set off. Someone tried a few months back, but they triggered the alarm then ran off. You don't need an expensive alarm. You can get a good DEI system (Clifford, Viper, Python, etc) for under $300 installed. Add a couple sensors like glass break and motion, then add a few extra sirens to help scare off the thieves. A digital tilt sensor will set the alarm off if someone tries to jack up the truck and steal the wheels. Also look into the two-way systems with a paging remote that will alert you when the vehicle has been tampered with.
Once again, sorry to hear what happened, especially being that you just installed the new Z3. Good luck on everything.

I just did a little research and one of those alarms with all of the accessories I wanted is pretty freaking expensive. But hey, I guess it is worth it! I'm just glad they didn't get my rims too. I'm hoping to recover most of the cost from insurance. Anyway, keep the good info coming. Thanks guys!

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I tinted my windows. Like the others have said, there are reasonably priced alarm systems out there. There is also the low budget alternative...

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i have my windows tinted but anyway can see inside tinted windows with a flashlight ya know? Honestly they were probably just trying to find something and got lucky

omar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey ATM.... you can get a piece from the dealer that would prevent the lock from being popped in. It's like a metal stopper of some sort... Another popular option is to order a new door handle without the keyhole.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey ATM.... you can get a piece from the dealer that would prevent the lock from being popped in. It's like a metal stopper of some sort... Another popular option is to order a new door handle without the keyhole.

Man i wish I would have known this the last time this happened. How much is that door handle? I'm still pissed off... I wish I had caught those bastards

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea, you will REQUIRE your remote to open your car in this case, and that means you are SOL if your batter dies. The cost of the handles is dependent on what type you have. If you have the painted ones, they will be more expensive. Hit up your dealer to find out what you need.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks e-dub. That looks like something I need to invest in. Hey guys I was wondering if most insurance policies will cover aftermarket navigation units? I have a full coverage insurance policy. I am worried that when I claim it they will say they don't cover that because it is not factory.... I'm gonna be sooooo pissed if that's the case.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shave your door handles so they cant punch in the locks : ) then add a security system and program it to say "im coming outside with a shotgun, you better get the hell away or im coming out shooting.. " i think that might keep em away.. ahha

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks e-dub. That looks like something I need to invest in. Hey guys I was wondering if most insurance policies will cover aftermarket navigation units? I have a full coverage insurance policy. I am worried that when I claim it they will say they don't cover that because it is not factory.... I'm gonna be sooooo pissed if that's the case.

ATM lucky for you I am an insurance guy also. As for that it depends on who your insurance company is. I know the insurance for my personal vehicle requires that I notify them of any aftermarket equipment I add so they can charge me extra in premiums. If you did not notify them of the aftermarket parts so it can be in your coverage then you won't be reimbursed. The company I work for, we require that the insured provide evidence of the value of the items stolen no matter if they advised us of the aftermarket parts.

So bottom line is you have a 50/50 chance. Good luck and have all of your receipts. Note: you won't be reimbursed for installation fees for the radio. :nonod:

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear what happened but there is one thing I've learned about the internet, don't put any personel info out...such as what you have in your vehicle or where you live at!
You think you have "friends" on here and they are the ones that take your stuff from you...:mad:

2007TahoeLTZ4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now if you want to go all out...i remember seeing on the news where some old queer keyed some kids car at a high school who had motion activated cameras and they put his picture all over the place even on the front of the paper...turned out he keyed it because it was a gas guzzling hummer

i want to know what type of system this is bc i want to use it with the signal cameras with the lockpick

im sure its hella expensive but worth it especially if they keep breaking in

on another note, how do they break in? punch out the key hole then what? wouldnt it just fall down or does it unlock it?

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATM lucky for you I am an insurance guy also. As for that it depends on who your insurance company is. I know the insurance for my personal vehicle requires that I notify them of any aftermarket equipment I add so they can charge me extra in premiums. If you did not notify them of the aftermarket parts so it can be in your coverage then you won't be reimbursed. The company I work for, we require that the insured provide evidence of the value of the items stolen no matter if they advised us of the aftermarket parts.

So bottom line is you have a 50/50 chance. Good luck and have all of your receipts. Note: you won't be reimbursed for installation fees for the radio. :nonod:

Well aren't you just the bearer of bad news? My buddy just got his truck stripped of his screens and his insurance company reimbursed him for the screens and price of install. So I hope you are wrong about the installation fees not being reimbursed, maybe it just varies by company? I wonder if they will give me money for my wiring harnesses that i had to buy to install this thing too?

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear what happened but there is one thing I've learned about the internet, don't put any personel info out...such as what you have in your vehicle or where you live at!
You think you have "friends" on here and they are the ones that take your stuff from you...:mad:

haha I've never told anyone on the internet where i live, especially on a public forum!