Well my Tahoe got broken into....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well aren't you just the bearer of bad news? My buddy just got his truck stripped of his screens and his insurance company reimbursed him for the screens and price of install. So I hope you are wrong about the installation fees not being reimbursed, maybe it just varies by company? I wonder if they will give me money for my wiring harnesses that i had to buy to install this thing too?

Yeah it could vary from company, I just know my company doesn't. You can imagine the conversations I have when I have to explain that! :mob: You should get the money for the wiring harnesses, they were part of the radio that got ripped out.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ugh- I hate thieves. Sorry to hear it happened to you.

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your misfortune. Folks work hard to get their vehicles, the way you want them, and somebody comes along and gets it the easier way. I haven't had problems since college, I'm fortunate I guess.

Poe1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know what would be a great security system? When a person is trying to break in from whatever door and a robotic arm comes out with a metal hand and squashes the thief's crotch.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another trick that helps is to install an additional siren inside the truck. A very loud blaringing one. If it's near the front (maybe under the dash?)... then it'll make the thief's ears ring and panic. I had this setup in one of the dash speaker vents on my old Eclipse... and if you were inside the car when the alarm went off... you'll sh*t your pants.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just pulled the trigger and bought the Viper 5701 (wanted the Python 872 b/c the remote looks better) but they both do the same job. Now I just have to go into debt to buy the acessories.

puck_11

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me last summer, they got a lot of stuff including GPS, tools, stereo, sub, etc. My insurance company, USAA, reimbursed me for everything that was considered a part of the truck, they even covered the cost of installation, wiring, and harnesses. I guess it all depends on how good your insurance company is.

How does an aftermarket system interact with factory alarm? Do you just never activate the factory alarm and let the aftermarket do the work? How about the remote starter, any issues with the factory alarm? I only ask because the only other one I've used is a cheap bulldog on an Explorer with no factory alarm or keyless entry.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
How does an aftermarket system interact with factory alarm? Do you just never activate the factory alarm and let the aftermarket do the work? How about the remote starter, any issues with the factory alarm? I only ask because the only other one I've used is a cheap bulldog on an Explorer with no factory alarm or keyless entry.
If installed correctly, you won't have any issues at all. All you'll need to do is operate the new transmitter and put your factory remote aside. The new system will interface with the factory locks so you'll be able to lock and unlock with the new remote just as you did with the factory. Same with an aftermarket remote start. These can also be interfaced to arm and disarm the factory system, though in most cases is pointless.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the jimmijammer thingy is great but the problem is the door is still messed up and thats half the cost of the break in

also when mine was broken into the just punched in the lock cylinder and didnt go underneath it some how

now i just have a back door handle on the front door

yeah im SOL if battery dies but if the remote dies i call onstar and if the vehicle battery dies i call a locksmith and pay him 25 bucks

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you'r removing the door lock cylinders (using rear handles up front), and worried about battery dying... you can add a connector to the battery, and run it somewhere discreet to where you can access it from out side, but no one will know... or even tuck it behind the grill. If your battery is dead, then at least you can hook it up to some power source to give it just enough juice to unlock your door.

An example is the connector that comes w/ batter tenders (float chargers). You can leave part of the wire bolted onto the battery... and the connector has a rubber connector cover too. When you need to charge it, just pull out the connector and hook it up to a small charger or something (just a little juice to open locks... ). Then you can get in, pop the hood, and jump start it properly w/ jumper cables.

You can rig up a wire to hook it up to another car's battery too... but just make sure you don't try to crank the engine (via remote engine start, etc) and only use it to unlock the doors (small connector's can't hold much current).

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me last summer, they got a lot of stuff including GPS, tools, stereo, sub, etc. My insurance company, USAA, reimbursed me for everything that was considered a part of the truck, they even covered the cost of installation, wiring, and harnesses. I guess it all depends on how good your insurance company is.

I am hoping my insurance does the same thing and covers my after market nav. How did they determine what was part of the truck? Heres my dilemna, My insurance company is sounding like they don't want to cover anything that wasn't factory. The body shop guy was talkin to me and told me I could just tell them it was factory nav (i had a 6-disc changer non nav) and they wouldn't know the difference, and if they ran the VIN number I could just say it was installed at the dealership. He said its hard to tell if it was factory or not because most of the wiring and everything looks the same. I don't want to lie but if the insurance is gonna screw me then... I'm honestly hoping I can just tell the adjustor they took my nav and he will just assume it was factory and not ask any questions. Shed some light on this situation for me guys...

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hoping my insurance does the same thing and covers my after market nav. How did they determine what was part of the truck? Heres my dilemna, My insurance company is sounding like they don't want to cover anything that wasn't factory. The body shop guy was talkin to me and told me I could just tell them it was factory nav (i had a 6-disc changer non nav) and they wouldn't know the difference, and if they ran the VIN number I could just say it was installed at the dealership. He said its hard to tell if it was factory or not because most of the wiring and everything looks the same. I don't want to lie but if the insurance is gonna screw me then... I'm honestly hoping I can just tell the adjustor they took my nav and he will just assume it was factory and not ask any questions. Shed some light on this situation for me guys...

I need to clarify a little more, I had a 6 disc changer non nav, and put in an aftermarket NAV system. I dont think my insurance would cover an aftermarket system so I told them it is a factory system. Is there anyway they could tell that the system I had in there was aftermarket and not NAV or do you guys think they will not notice? Like I said I didn't want to be dishonest but I don't want to get screwed out of 2000 dollars either... thx guys. :thumbsup:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear what happened but there is one thing I've learned about the internet, don't put any personel info out...such as what you have in your vehicle or where you live at!
You think you have "friends" on here and they are the ones that take your stuff from you...:mad:

I do that, and never had a problem.

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That totally sucks about the break ins. It sounds like they've targeted your truck. The ideas about the keyless doors and the hidden battery connectors are really good. Along with a good alarm system. As for the insurance question. Really depends on your insurance company. Since they have your VIN, they can check what your truck was built with. Usually an insurance rider to cover aftermarket components is a good idea. Since you've already told them you had a Nav system, they may only replace it with the GM Nav system or if they do detect that the your truck didn't come with a Nav they may only replace what was in there originally.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That totally sucks about the break ins. It sounds like they've targeted your truck. The ideas about the keyless doors and the hidden battery connectors are really good. Along with a good alarm system. As for the insurance question. Really depends on your insurance company. Since they have your VIN, they can check what your truck was built with. Usually an insurance rider to cover aftermarket components is a good idea. Since you've already told them you had a Nav system, they may only replace it with the GM Nav system or if they do detect that the your truck didn't come with a Nav they may only replace what was in there originally.

Good job DofD. You mention some things I wanted to say but was not b/c what I was reading was INSURANCE FRAUD. And me explaining what was wrong with the things ATM and others were recommending on to say would actually be me helping.

Basicly it seems like your company is like my personal auto insurance and requires you to notify them of any aftermarket equipment. If you try to give them another VIN and they notice that it is not the same on your policy you would be considered as committing Insurance Fraud. Once that happens they have the right to deny your WHOLE claim! It will also be noted and can backfire on you b/c they could decide not to provide insurance to you anymore.

Okay, so now you might saying I'm trying to scare you but I'm giving you the facts and a strong possible outcome. You providing false info on one thing will question them if you are providing false info about the whole theft. Then nothing will be covered and you will be SOL.

Best case is to tell the truth b/c they will investigate and find out what you had.

ATM_Football

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good job DofD. You mention some things I wanted to say but was not b/c what I was reading was INSURANCE FRAUD. And me explaining what was wrong with the things ATM and others were recommending on to say would actually be me helping.

Basicly it seems like your company is like my personal auto insurance and requires you to notify them of any aftermarket equipment. If you try to give them another VIN and they notice that it is not the same on your policy you would be considered as committing Insurance Fraud. Once that happens they have the right to deny your WHOLE claim! It will also be noted and can backfire on you b/c they could decide not to provide insurance to you anymore.

Okay, so now you might saying I'm trying to scare you but I'm giving you the facts and a strong possible outcome. You providing false info on one thing will question them if you are providing false info about the whole theft. Then nothing will be covered and you will be SOL.

Best case is to tell the truth b/c they will investigate and find out what you had.

I think you mis understood me, I didn't give them a fake VIN number and I told them the truth, I decided honesty is the best policy. Now they just want a sales receipt or something so I called the shop had them fax me a sales receipt and everything is looking good to go. I'm not stupid, I wouldn't give them the wrong VIN. THanks for all the help guys! Now I just need to decide what alarm to get.:confused: And I really like the idea you had DofD and I will look into that.