When you started driving,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you started driving, how much was gas?

Not as far back as you can remember, but the day you were licensed and started driving your first car.

I started driving when gas was 89 cents a gallon it wasn't long befor it went to 99 cents a gallon and stood there for awhile...

Last edited:

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me I think it was about $2.40/gallon, that was back in early 06 though, suprisingly gas is even cheaper right now than it was then.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
April 1996, I was 18, senior in high school. $0.94 - .96/gallon. Had a 1990 VW Golf... $15-17 at each fill.

jlcvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember one summer in the later 80’s it dipped down to .69 cents, but the normal was around .92 to .99 cents. People were not happy if it went over a $1.00. If gas cost as much as it did this year, I would have done a lot of walking back then.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1966. I worked at a Chevron station while I was in high school and our gas was 21.9 cents a gallon. Man, those were the days!!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I think I remember gas being between 70 and 75 cents /gallon back in '90 when I started driving.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1992 in the SF Bay Area. I remember the first time I filled up actually. Arco Station $1.19 for 87... Yeah I'm 33.... Where did I put that damn walker?!??! :crazy:

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember 39 cents a gallon. I guess that just shows, that i'm getting old. It didn't stay there for long, it rose at a slow pace, until the first rationing in the late 70's. I can remember buying gasohal, for $1.79 a gallon. For you young folks that was the first gas made from corn, that we now call Ethanol (E-85).

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you need to think back,,,,,,,,,,way back to 1992,,,,,,,because that's about the same time I started and it was 99 cents.;)
Here in Chicago, we've always paid the highest gas prices compared to other Cities...:mad2:
Since I could remember, I don't think I've ever seen gas at or below a dollar, here in Chicago!

cbramsey

Reaction score
For me, it was 1977. The price of Regular Gas was a shocking $0.50 per gallon.

But that was the "good old days"!!!:smilielol::smilielol:

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Chicago, we've always paid the highest gas prices compared to other Cities...:mad2:
Since I could remember, I don't think I've ever seen gas at or below a dollar, here in Chicago!

Damn, you need to get out-of-there. I feel for you...

JSers1

Reaction score
I was 16 1991. SF Bay Area(Union City)...BP station was like 1.05 a gallon. I could fill up my 88 Civic and get a pack of smokes for 12 bucks!!!

I remember "borrowing" the car a few times a year earlier and it was like 95 cents!!!

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I first started driving in the fall of 2000. That was the last year fuel could be purchased for less than one dollar per gallon, approximately $0.96-$0.99.

I had no idea how amazing it was to purchase more gallons of fuel than I spent in dollars at the time, but it's interesting to think of now.

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my license back in '84 and gas was like 0.42 per litre, but it was like 0.33 when I actually first started driving. ;-)