Which '95~'99 Year To Purchase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RrCoX22

Reaction score
What year GMT400 platforms should I stay away from? What years were recommended and why? Seems the '96 was a good year. Will be looking for a 4-Door 4x4 LT.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if your limit is 1995 - 1999... then try and get a 1999 model. *shrug* They all look the same, so the newest one with the latest and greatest in features and such is obviously the best route to take if possible.

RrCoX22

Reaction score
wow i don't know how i put that in the '07+ section... anyways was just wanting to know if certain years had more kinks to fix and weed out compared to others.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They where all basically the same, sept in 97 they started adding the push button 4x4 - and i guess in 98 they put in the tempature on the mirror.. and i guess also the Homelink system.. - my 97 only has 1 power seat - my 99 both fronts are power and heated

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sept in 97 they started adding the push button 4x4

They had the electronic 4WD option the whole time. I remember when I was looking around for my Tahoe last year, I was also looking at a 1996 4-door Tahoe that had push-button 4WD.

There are no AWD Tahoes that were made in the 90's. I don't know the knewer models very well so I can't say for them, but I know there are no all-tim AWD Tahoe's made in the 1995-1999 model years.

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't really sway you towards a particular year but I can tell you that my 96 has 204,000 miles on her and still runs strong!

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 99 has the Auto-4wd feature... thats not really AWD.. but, if it is engaged, and the rear-wheels slip than the front wheels grip

Anvilair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a shady tree mechanic I like my 95. 177k and going strong. Plus I find the 5.7 with tbi that I have is easy to work on. Totaly my opinion. Anything 95-99 will have some miles on it so I picked what I thought to be the easiest to wrench on. Good luck in your search.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know when they started putting the push button 4x4 in.. guess 96? but in any case i don't think the Auto 4wd was available untill 99 or 98 with the autotrac..

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC the auto trac came out late 97? correct me if i'm wrong. I have the push button 4x4 on the dash. the only thing i've heard bad about them is the sensor on the t-case can go bad, but its not terrible to replace.

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 96 also has a push button 4wd. Is it possible to change the lights out on it? or when the headlights are on, 2wd is the only thing that is supposed to light up bright? I can't find any lights on it haha.

my 96 rocks. 128k on it