Wind noise across top of windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D'Hag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an '03 Z71 Tahoe. Love it. The previous owner was a local banker, and he bought it fully loaded. There's stuff on here that I wouldn't have paid for if I had bought it new, 'cuz I couldn't afford all that stuff.

Anyway, being fully loaded, it has all the wind noise reduction stuff in the door openings and other gaps. All the trim is tight and all gaps measure well within specs.

It's got pretty bad wind noise starting in the upper left corner of the windshield. It's there at any normal highway speed. With increased speed or with head winds, the noise gets louder and seems to spread farther across to the right.

Can anyone give me ideas to pass on to the dealer. I think the extended warranty I paid for will cover this.

Thanks.

kikbaks

Reaction score
The two things that come to my mind are:

1. Has the windshield ever been replaced? Unskilled replacement would easy cause wind noise and/or water leaks. If this is the cause, the odds of the extended warranty covering it are slim. Liability lies with the company that replaced the windshield.

2. Does it have a bugshield installed? I recently installed a bugshield and the wind noise increased substantially at highway speeds. Simply remove it to test cause.

D'Hag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, it's the factory original windshield. But I'll see what I can find out for sure.

No bug shield. I don't use'em. They make the Rain-X treatment not work so good, as they break up the windstream.

D'Hag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The two things that come to my mind are:

1. Has the windshield ever been replaced? Unskilled replacement would easy cause wind noise and/or water leaks. If this is the cause, the odds of the extended warranty covering it are slim. Liability lies with the company that replaced the windshield.

2. Does it have a bugshield installed? I recently installed a bugshield and the wind noise increased substantially at highway speeds. Simply remove it to test cause.

Since you are the only one that answered my query, I thought you might be interested.

There's a GM Technical Service Bulletin on it--
TSB # 040848003
"Windrush Around Windshield."
NHTSA ID #10012532
June 1, 2004

The TSB says to replace the "Reveal Mouldings" on both sides. That's a simple job. The parts cost about $56 from the dealer. I'll do it this spring.