Window tinting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glpd74

Reaction score
Anybody know what the tinting percentage is on the rear side windows when they come tinted from the factory. In my state the front side windows have to let in at least 50% of the light that hits the window. I would like to try and match both up if I can. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

TJ

glpd74

Reaction score
Does that mean they only allow in 18% outside light?

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that mean they only allow in 18% outside light?

Correct.

If you look real close on the window, there should be some small numbers that tell you which tint you have. I haven't looked at mine in a minute but last time I checked mine are 17%. The closest you can get to the factory tint is 20%.

Just note that 20% and lower is technically not legal. Most states only allow 35% and up. Depends on your state and how well they inforce it or how bad the department needs to make their quota. In my cases I never got pulled over just for the tint, it would be me speeding but once they pulled me over and noticed the tint they would pull out their gun and check my windows.... that's until I got smart and let them all down :smilielol:

Also, one more note the strip that most have across the front of their windshields are technically not legal either. But like I said before just depends on how your city/state inforces it.:cool2:

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fronts are 35% (allow more than 35% of light in) and they still look a tad lighter than the rear. There's a slight difference but not much.

msullivan

Reaction score
I live in Texas and I have 25% on my front windows & 3% on my back 3 windows on my ext. cab gmc. I am planning on doing 3% on my tahoe in the next few weeks also.

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Texas and I have 25% on my front windows & 3% on my back 3 windows on my ext. cab gmc. I am planning on doing 3% on my tahoe in the next few weeks also.

How in the heck are you going to see? Even with 5%, you can barely see at night.

EZYESS57

Reaction score
I got my windows tinted and asked them to match it to the second row windows. They installed a 20% and I can't tell the difference. However, in Alabama 35% on the front windows is all that is legal. It seems like my rear window is a lot darker though. Ill have to go look to verify.

I wanted the 6" strip across the front window also, but the little black dots around the electronics was going to force them to split it into two pieces, one on either side of the dots. Tint doesn't stick well to that black material.

You want to talk about dark tint that you can't see out of....my 01 s-10 has 5% black on top of 5% mirror w/ a checkered flag pattern. I've had 8 tickets. The tint meter read .03.

glpd74

Reaction score
thanks for all the help guys. Yeah my state says only 50% for the front sides so not sure what I'm gonna do yet. don't know how good it would look if they don't match up.

TJ

demonal

Reaction score
Mines are right now about 15 in the front about a lil less then 10 in the back...

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have decided to get my front two windows tinted 20% and NO strip across the front windshield. Would have considered darker but how would you feel if the insurance man pulled infront of your house with a tinted out Tahoe? :cuss:

Atvkrazy06

Reaction score
I have factory tint on the back windows and 27% on the front two. Decided to go darker and put 15% on top of all the windows. Front two windows were still lighter than back ones (probably from sunlight coming throught the windsheild). So then had 20% put on top of the front two windows on top of all the other tint. Can see fine during the day. At night its pretty much like looking at a black wall.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well while everyone was out in the stores shopping, I was in the tint shop.

20% to the front windows, factory 17% in rear.

Attachments

• forum1.jpg
    forum1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 22
  • forum2.jpg
    forum2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 18

riverst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The operators book for my 2008 Tahoe LTZ says; DO NOT TINT WINDOWS.
Has todo with GPS and stabli-track.

Do they mean the front windows. The GPS antenna is on the front window.
Also hear in VA, the allow tint is 50% front and 35% rear of the driver. I got pulled over for tint on my explorer and the officer told me to roll my window down half way and he placed a block on it. I was 21% on the front. Be careful with these tint shops. I ask for 35% and i ended up with 21%. That tint ticket was $85. I plan to tint the Tahoe front windows too, but i think think the front is tinted a little from the factory and if i put 50% on them i will be illegal. Anybody know what the tint % for the front.

Riv

Murfs

Reaction score
I have the navigation system, I was gettingt errors. I only had a top wi9ndshield band on because the Tahoe came without one. The metal that is in window tinting cause errors in the GPS syatem. My operators book says no window tint, but does not say where. GM must think that tint on the windshield is a problem. But I have seen dealer installed window tint on front side windows.
So I had the tint on the windshield removed. Navigation system seams to work better. I have not taken any long trips to check it out....

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they mean the front windows. The GPS antenna is on the front window.
Also hear in VA, the allow tint is 50% front and 35% rear of the driver. I got pulled over for tint on my explorer and the officer told me to roll my window down half way and he placed a block on it. I was 21% on the front. Be careful with these tint shops. I ask for 35% and i ended up with 21%. That tint ticket was $85. I plan to tint the Tahoe front windows too, but i think think the front is tinted a little from the factory and if i put 50% on them i will be illegal. Anybody know what the tint % for the front.

Riv

If you look at the little writing on the window it will tell you. I think my front was 70%. Like I said before, cops are usually going to pull you over if you either: A. have super dark tint. I'm talking 5% or 5% on top of 5% (people actually do it). B. time to make quota. :cool2:

And I'm not sure about the 35% rear tint because factory tint is 16-18% dark.

e-dub75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the navigation system, I was gettingt errors. I only had a top wi9ndshield band on because the Tahoe came without one. The metal that is in window tinting cause errors in the GPS syatem. My operators book says no window tint, but does not say where. GM must think that tint on the windshield is a problem. But I have seen dealer installed window tint on front side windows.
So I had the tint on the windshield removed. Navigation system seams to work better. I have not taken any long trips to check it out....

I also think they are speaking about the windshield strip. I considered it b/c I had it on my Expedition but to me it doesn't look good on a tahoe (just my opinion). I saw it on a co-workers Yukon and it just looked crappy. Plus I would have no need for it since I'm 6'8" and the top of the windshield is how I am able to see. :lol:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The W/S & driver/psgr are 70%, rears are 16%, & hatch is 13% transmission.