Wiring Harness for Head Unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, things are looking pretty good for me getting my subs in next weekend. A new head unit is next on the agenda. I already know what I'm getting, but is it true that you have to buy a new wiring harness just to get it to work? The guy at the local audio shop said that for the past several years, all of the "brains" of the GM cars (air bag sensors ect) were wired into the stock radios. So I'd have to get a new wiring harness just to get everything running again.

They said they'd sell me one whenever I got around to getting the new head unit, but I know there are cheaper places to get them. Have any of you bought one before and where should I order one? Note: I don't have Onstar or XM. Thanks.

Val0412

Reaction score
I just did this. Basically the guys at Rollin Sound here in Jacksonville told me that there are three different types of harnesses. The price for the harness depends on the level of integration into your head unit. IE, if you have onstar you have to get a more expensive harness than if you just have a stock gm stereo. For me, 2002 LS Tahoe with entry level stock head unit, I paid $15 for my harness. I am by no means a car stereo technician, but I completely trust these guys. The've done a few car stereos for me. If you'd like to call them, I'm sure they can explain it much better then I did.

Here's their contact info. Ask for Desi (Des-ee) Eastern time, I think they close at 5:30 pm. on weekdays.

Rollin' Sound @ The Avenues. 11672 Philips Hwy. Jacksonville, FL 32256. (904) 886-4575

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I might give them a call tomorrow and ask them about it. I think I have the most basic head unit there is because it's only a single-CD and has no Onstar/XM. Hopefully I can pick one up for that cheap.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I called those guys and talked to them for a while. They said since my door chime comes from an actual speaker, it would run like $120 for just a wiring harness. They changed to that method sometime in between your year and my year I guess, which sucks. I also need a couple adapters like the radio antena adapter and something else. But after labor it would run about $200, so I now know that my local audio shop isn't BSing me.

I'm glad I know the facts now, but it pisses me off that I have not only have to spend $300 on my new HU, but another $200 just to get the thing in there, whereas people with other cars can install them in a parking lot lol. Stupid GM and their stupid integration methods.

/endrant

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NrDFx7Fmd90/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=120GMOS04

I got that one from Crutchfield. But I do have Bose system. If you have a stock amp then this should still work for you. I just ordered some infinity components and some wire. So when it comes in and I begin My install I'll take pics. I meant to take pics when I put my headunit in but got busy and forgot.

2397508190_442a4771e1.jpg

Val0412

Reaction score
Alright I called those guys and talked to them for a while. They said since my door chime comes from an actual speaker, it would run like $120 for just a wiring harness. They changed to that method sometime in between your year and my year I guess, which sucks. I also need a couple adapters like the radio antena adapter and something else. But after labor it would run about $200, so I now know that my local audio shop isn't BSing me.

I'm glad I know the facts now, but it pisses me off that I have not only have to spend $300 on my new HU, but another $200 just to get the thing in there, whereas people with other cars can install them in a parking lot lol. Stupid GM and their stupid integration methods.

/endrant

Damn man,

Sorry brother, I do remember them asking me if my door chime came out of the speaker. Now I know why.

I've never understood why they do that with their head units. I know their not the only ones... But it's still lame

Keep us posted.:thumbsup:

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the link I posted, you'll keep the door chime. and not sure if you need it but Crutchfield will send you a lil installation manual, which explains how to remove the door panels and the dash etc, if you need instructions.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i had to get one too but I spent about $179 and this shop called ultimate electronics. I needed it for the onstar and the bose system. and the chime are kept in the speakers. I know my brother had to get a special one too but he paid about 40.00 for his it was for an envoy but his harness had a speaker for the chimes which i think bose I mean blows!

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have Bose but no Onstar. I'm just going to talk to the audio shop about it when I get my subs installed a week from now. Based on those crutchfield reviews, it sounds like alot of people had trouble with it. I'll just let the shop do the labor and they can work on it until they get it right.

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any probs. I think theres only two companies that make this. So the shop will probably use this one or the other brand which is pretty much the same thing. Well Good luck to ya. Figured you could save a couple dolars by getting the one at crutchfield.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guys am I reading this right ? some of yah are dropping close to 200 for a harness to ....keep the door chime? ...ummm why? i would love to get rid of that stupid annoyance once and for all :) unless it ties into something else that it affects the performance then ..i would be just curbing the door chime IMO :)

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guys am I reading this right ? some of yah are dropping close to 200 for a harness to ....keep the door chime? ...ummm why? i would love to get rid of that stupid annoyance once and for all :) unless it ties into something else that it affects the performance then ..i would be just curbing the door chime IMO :)

Not just to keep the chime. If you want to use your factory speakers, it has rca plugs that convert to the reg wiring harness to goto the amp. I paid $100 for my harness, so I don't have cut splice etc into my stock harness. Plug and play. If I want to take it out unplug everything and plug the stock stuff back up. It's just becaue we have the "bose" system our harness cost more, unless you want to bypass the stock system and run all your wires.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not just to keep the chime. If you want to use your factory speakers, it has rca plugs that convert to the reg wiring harness to goto the amp. I paid $100 for my harness, so I don't have cut splice etc into my stock harness. Plug and play. If I want to take it out unplug everything and plug the stock stuff back up. It's just becaue we have the "bose" system our harness cost more, unless you want to bypass the stock system and run all your wires.

so it's worth while then cause if it was just for the door chime..then loose it :)

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oh I'll probably order yours then off Crutchfield. I don't want to take a chance on my audio shop doing something stupid like ordering a harness and having to splice ect. I've always brought my own parts and let them do the labor, so I'll do the same here.

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I'll probably order yours then off Crutchfield. I don't want to take a chance on my audio shop doing something stupid like ordering a harness and having to splice ect. I've always brought my own parts and let them do the labor, so I'll do the same here.

When are you planning on doing your system? Probably next weekend, I will be installing my speakers. So when I take the dash apart I can snap some pics for ya. I've never paid a shop to install a radio that is plug and play. I'm my monte I did my first installs because that's how you learn. Not that its hard but I like to be hands on. The radio is way to easy, you pull the dash off, unscrew the stock radio, plug in the harness. Screw the trim piece down, plug up the radio, Slid it in, and bam.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats true I'll do it myself then. I already have a friend also who's willing to help on this. A week from now, I have to let the shop build me a sub box and install those as I don't have the resources to do that. After that, I'll start looking into ordering a head unit and wiring harness. The only bad thing is that I'll have to pull up the entire center console again because my line-out converter is running under there in the original bose subwoofer area. But I guess its worth it if I save all that labor money.

01lt_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the link I posted, you'll keep the door chime. and not sure if you need it but Crutchfield will send you a lil installation manual, which explains how to remove the door panels and the dash etc, if you need instructions.

hey tast, do u still have the install manual from crutchfield? Could you scan it & post it?

I just ordered a kenwood 8120, with the ipod & sirius add-ons... this will be my 1st install ever, and to make things worse I'm gonna attempt to mod my 1.5 din to a 2.0 din :wow: So I'm gonna need all the help I can get...

I've always heard cruthfields tech support is topnotch, but Sonic Electronix price was too sweet to pass up... can you take a look at this reciept & tell me if I have everything I will need for the install? right now I have a the regular factory radio with onstar...

Attachments

• sonic.jpg
    sonic.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 8

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey tast, do u still have the install manual from crutchfield? Could you scan it & post it?

I just ordered a kenwood 8120, with the ipod & sirius add-ons... this will be my 1st install ever, and to make things worse I'm gonna attempt to mod my 1.5 din to a 2.0 din :wow: So I'm gonna need all the help I can get...

I've always heard cruthfields tech support is topnotch, but Sonic Electronix price was too sweet to pass up... can you take a look at this reciept & tell me if I have everything I will need for the install? right now I have a the regular factory radio with onstar...

Yea. I'll scan it for you tomorrow. Good deal on the deck. If it doesn't work out, I'll send you my Pioneer and you can send me the kenwood, (since I have a DD dash) :thumbsup:.

Last edited: