Aftermarket Audio Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gambler!
Would it be a good idea to do a coaxial in the rear door and a 3.5 inch coaxial in the factory d-pillar location? I know JK mentioned to skip the d-pillar but what if there are passengers in the 3rd row. Would they have the same experience as the front and middle seat passengers without the d pillar speakers?

I'd just skip the pillar speakers. If I were sitting in the third row, I won't expect to have optimal sound. I'd focus on tailoring it for the driver ;)

PHXdesertTahoe

Reaction score
I'd just skip the pillar speakers. If I were sitting in the third row, I won't expect to have optimal sound. I'd focus on tailoring it for the driver ;)

That's a great looking install Gambler!

Question for you in regards to the wiring on the front components. Before you put in the aftermarket speakers was there any kind of OEM crossover, or were the tweeters and woofers wired in parallel, or wired seperate of each other?

Thanks for your help.

Matt.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great looking install Gambler!

Question for you in regards to the wiring on the front components. Before you put in the aftermarket speakers was there any kind of OEM crossover, or were the tweeters and woofers wired in parallel, or wired seperate of each other?

Thanks for your help.

Matt.

Thanks. If there is an OEM crossover somewhere it is hidden pretty well. My guess is that it is either controlled from the headunit, or there is no crossover at all. I can't tell you for sure as I left the factory wiring intact and just added new wire.

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. If there is an OEM crossover somewhere it is hidden pretty well. My guess is that it is either controlled from the headunit, or there is no crossover at all. I can't tell you for sure as I left the factory wiring intact and just added new wire.

With regard to the rear tweeters, there is no crossover. I tapped into the rear tweeters for a while to get a line level lead into an amp powering a sub. There were definately no low frequencies missing.

Given the rear tweeters (Bose system) have no crossover, I don't see why the fronts would. Any crossover might be on the speakers themselves and not done at the headunit.

Also, the speakers are wired individually if that helps.

A J

Elpresidente

Reaction score
was that the only place that was good for the amps? because i have a 08 hoe and i plan to buy that stealth sub box that JL audio makes for my ride and the box goes in the center consol i think right where you placed ur amps. i was thinking of putting my amp under the second row seat. cant loose the center consol i plan to put a 2nd dvd player in there:)

PHXdesertTahoe

Reaction score
The 2nd row seat should be a good option to use. Awhile back I measured out for a smaller 50X2 amp to run some front components and I had plenty of area to work with underneath the front center part of the second row bench in an 07 Tahoe. Should work out fine if you have the bench seats in the 2nd row. The only thing you need to be careful of is the depth. plenty of floor area to work with however If I remember corrrectly I only had about 2 inches give or take some in depth. Plenty of slimmer style amps on the market though that give the proper clearence. Keep in mind as well if you ever need to put the seat up to haul anything in the back the amp will be exposed which is a problem I ran into, however if you don't really haul stuff around you should be fine.

Matt.

Last edited:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can fit an amp under the seats. The biggest amp you can fit is something like 16x16x2.25 if I remember correctly (bench seats). To fit multiple one has to be less than 8.5" in width which is hard to find. The only other concealed place is the rear driver's side wheel well. You'll have to lose your jack if you chose that location.

raiderrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice! i have a ltz with bose speakers will my amps fit underneath where you have them or will the bose sub be in the way?

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gambler,

Did you secure your amplifiers or box down to the floor in any way? I see you put the amps on a platform, but is the platform bolted or strapped down? How about the box?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gambler,

Did you secure your amplifiers or box down to the floor in any way? I see you put the amps on a platform, but is the platform bolted or strapped down? How about the box?

The sub box is screwed into the old base so it isn't going anywhere. The amps are screwed to the piece of MDF and are jammed in there pretty tight, so I didn't bother attaching them to anything. I haven't had a problem with it moving.

Sic_Tahoe

Reaction score
Hey Gambler, I have really enjoyed looking at your install, I'm new to the forums, I just bought an 2007 tahoe and just had a system installed. I had the door speakers replaced and amped the front and rear with components and coaxials. I left the rear d-pillar going to the factory head unit. My question is, is there a totally different signal going to the rear pillar as the rear door speakers. Because now that i have my door speakers amped, It totally drowns out some of the music. Like if theres two guitars playing, on select songs, I don't hear the other guitar, or if there are vocals sent to the rear pillars, Can't hear them either.

I guess what im wondering is what you did. Did you totally cut off the rear pillars and some get that signal to the rear door, Please help!!

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disconnected the rear door speakers and the pillar speakers. I'm only using front components and the sub. IMO rear speakers don't help the soundstage, and just complicate balancing/equalization. But to each his own. I'm pretty sure the rear pillars get the same signal as the rear door speakers. My suggestion would be to disconnect any remaining factory speakers and see how that sounds. You may need to tweak some crossovers to get the frequencies you are lacking.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Gambler, how did you power two amps with one power cord from the battery, because I've been investigating setups and determined that I'd need two amps but don't know how to power both?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just get a distribution block. Mine takes one 4ga and has 4 8ga out (only using 2). I then have separate 8ga ground wires from each amp running to a bolt. You also need to run the remote wire to both amps. I just used a wire nut and some electrical tape, but soldering and heat shrink is probably the best method.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, and where is the bolt you ran those grounds too?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was some box (seatbelt module maybe?) beneath the console which was bolted down using 3 or 4 bolts. I just sanded the paint around two of them and put the box back down over the ring terminals and tightened the nuts down.