Are there any major differences in performance between a 95 and 96 2door yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyHigh

Reaction score
I know that 96 was the start of the vortec motor and that's what i want but i'm wondering if i should settle for a lower year than that? Any suggestions guys?

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the vortec, and the intake box was the first thing I took off and replaced.

I think youll be happy with either engine as a starting platform if your going to do modifications. What condition are both rides in?

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the vortec came i believe with 20 more horses? i think the 95 is a lot more easier to work on IMO, and if you look at a 95 vs a 96 engine bay you will be quite surprised on all the stuff packed in there.. i own both yr motors and i like my 95 since easier, i like the 96 and above bcuz IMO its smoother powering, it steers very nice, but its hard to see what the hells going on down in the engine comp. look for yourself and see.. 95 will start then the 96 is below

SUIT YOURSELF>> ALL THAT WAS MY OPINION

Mark 97 Tahoe

Reaction score
95 rated at 210hp. 96 rated at 255hp. You can def. feel the power diff. I've owned both. I get 1 - 2 mpg better with the vortec also.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also - if your in a state like mine - 1995 and lower vehicles (OBD1) you don't have to have emmisions testing done - 96 and up you do.. - the 95 still has the look of the 96 with the round dash etc - but its a TBI motor - and the 96 is vortec - main differance interior wise is the guage cluster the 95's tach goes to 5 where the 96 and up go to 6 - motor wise has already been stated - however i don't know what tranny is in the 95 id assume its the 700r4 - and the 96 would be the 4l60e

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright:

Both vehicles are the same except for the engine. Same transmission, same rearend, same body, same interior, same options, same everything.

The difference is the computer system and the engine. The 96 is better, because it has an OBDII computer, and the Vortec engine which has Vortec heads, (I believe) Hydraulic roller cam and lifters, and all that good stuff. 55 more horsepower than the throttle body injection 350 that the 1995 has.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did the 95 have the same tranny as the 96 or did it have the 700r4? - the only major differance in the 700r4 and the 4l60e is that the 4l60e is computer controlled, and the 700r4 has a linkage cable up to the TBI and thats how it shifts gears

NyHigh

Reaction score
I'm still confused on which model to go with. I want the 96/97 but can't find them close enough. The 88-95's are all over. Can you still program stuff out like the smog system and stuff? Or is there no computer at all?

And what is the difference in the transmissions.....are they different or the same?

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 96 has a much better engine has about 255hp and 330ftlbs of torque...yes you can still program the computer, it has a black box PCM.

The 95 is 210hp and 300ftlbs of torque.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I believe the 1987-1995 5.7's are only rated for 200 hp, not 210..

And the transmissions from 1995 to 1996+ are the SAME.

All the GM full size trucks and vans have been using the 4L60E since 1993, and they still use it today I believe, except in 2002 or 2003 they updated it to the 4L65E, added a pinion and planetary set, and strengthened some of the components allowing it to handle more torque. Also, the 4L60E is essentially a computer controlled 700r4 (also called the 4L60, adding the E on the end signified the electronic control added).

The heavier duty trucks use the 4L80E.

The 1996 and newer models are what you want. They are more powerful AND the computer is easier to work with and more programmable.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
General, I just checked your ride on cardomain. Nice work.

Dude. Are you wearing the ultra-rare Meshuggah beanie?

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that the 1995 has the TBI motor - i don't think the PCM in it would be that easy to work with.. - the Black box PCM int he OBD2 trucks are a whole lot different and easy to work with.. but the OBD1 PCM was something that wasn't easy at all to work with

TangibleGhost

Reaction score
I have a 95. Can you put the block and heads out of a 96+ into a 95 without having to swap the whole electronics? Obviously I would have to keep the TB at a minimum to keep the ECU. But would everything below it be interchangable? I kinda figure the motor out of a wrecked 96+ wouldnt be that hard to aquire so it might be a good option for most of the extra power that the non vortech's lack. Or am I just SOL?

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have your computer reprogrammed everytime you make a major engine upgrade like heads or cam etc. If you put vortec heads on a TBI 350, then you computer is still going to think you have TBI swirl-port cylinder heads, so it will not be feeding the right amount of fuel and such.

General, I just checked your ride on cardomain. Nice work.

Dude. Are you wearing the ultra-rare Meshuggah beanie?

Thank you =)

And yes; I bought that at their concert while they were on tour back in April. so amazing. They are pretty much one of my all time favortie bands to ever grace the earth.

TangibleGhost

Reaction score
You're probably right. I will make sure I find a place that reprogram it right if I decide to go that far with it. Thankfully I have 2 other projects that need new motors to keep me away from that for a while. '84 S-10 and '82 280ZX. Both are getting 350s dropped in them. :cool: