Backup HID lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys.. call me crazy tell me dumb.. no problem.. I'm out on vacation today and i had an extra HID kit on the garage so I installed it on the back up lamps..

1- H11 Hid kit was used, this was the best bulb out their that would work with the base of the lamps.
2- Some mod was done to the actual bulb just to make it fit.
3- I added some silicone to make sure moisture would be kept out.
4- The balast was installed under the rear bumper
5- Positive and Negative wires where conected from the OEM plug
6- Installed the lamps back in place, replace your original 10 amp fuse to a 15amp or 20 amp.. and you are done.

Pictures attached..

Attachments

• Tahoe2 130.jpg
    Tahoe2 130.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Tahoe2 133.jpg
    Tahoe2 133.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Tahoe2 135.jpg
    Tahoe2 135.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Tahoe2 137.jpg
    Tahoe2 137.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Tahoe2 124.jpg
    Tahoe2 124.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
continue

Attachments

• Tahoe2 146.jpg
    Tahoe2 146.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Tahoe2 143.jpg
    Tahoe2 143.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Tahoe2 144.jpg
    Tahoe2 144.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Tahoe2 127.jpg
    Tahoe2 127.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Tahoe2 126.jpg
    Tahoe2 126.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laughin' my butt off, dude!

:smilielol::smilielol::smilielol:

Very cool! I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about that too! BUT, I doubt the factory wiring was designed to handle the start-up current loads that a HID ballast puts on it. Did you rig up some kind of relay harness or something, or are you really powering that ballast off the factory wiring? :eek2: Keep an eye on that puppy!

I bet you see better in reverse than most cars see ahead of them! :D

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, just wondering -- do you have a backup camera? (I don't see one on there, but maybe an after-market one?) I wonder how those HIDs would affect (i.e. wash-out) the image on the backup camera at night... :D

I love it! :smilielol:

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you all for the nice comments.. this where plug to the original wiring.. no relay no other power supply was used. Been that they are only used when you back up i dont see anything been a problem. I did replace the fuse to a 25 as any regular hid kit requiers.. if you look are the wires from your head lights they are preaty much the same gauge.

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is very cool but I had a thought......Wouldn't you be putting it into drive by the time the lamps reached there full lighting capacity??? My lamps take about 10-15 seconds to reach full potential. Just throwing it out there....

Looks badazz!!!!!

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is very cool but I had a thought......Wouldn't you be putting it into drive by the time the lamps reached there full lighting capacity??? My lamps take about 10-15 seconds to reach full potential. Just throwing it out there....

Looks badazz!!!!!

yup that is true.. i really did not do the mod to gain any type of full visibility when backing up.. i did it just for fun... imagine.. you are out side.. walking toward your truck at night.. and you unluck your baby with the remote.. and walaa... your hid light up.. all nice and bright.. changing color by the second.. everyone is going to be like :wow:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, you are funny. I'd hook a switch up so I could turn them on when somebody is tailgating...:thumbsup:

Kaimana

Reaction score
HAHA! Thats classic. People are gunna know, when you back up, you mean business. Put it in reverse, and BAM

. . .I'm not saying im going to do it, but i do have an extra phillips 9006 kit. . .hmmm

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
night pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 32

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DUDE THAT IS SO AWSOME. it would be good to have a seperate switch though. one for talgaters, and another one for tail gateing. so like yall are chillin with the truck. like i do. music cranked up. insted of those bulky clip on yellow halagons for like work spaces. you can have thoughs. for the revirse lights though it may be worth it to swap to 4300k though. looks sweet regardless though.

Last edited:

LaredoTexas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 4300 on the garage.. but this one do not look that blue in person.. the pictures come out very blue.. they are more white than anything.. the 4300 would look like a regular halgen bulb...

jazejeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this by far is the crazyiest badasnest MOD i have ever seen .next time i am drunk and have a extra hid kit laying around guaranteed this will be my next mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mat:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
night pictures

:cool2: Holy freak, those are bright!!! :cool2: I betcha the neighbors will enjoy them too, when you're backing out at night... :D

Okay, not wanting to be out-done with HID's, after I do the reverse lights, I think my next project is going to be replacing all the interior overhead lights with HIDs. And the puddle lights. And the rear license-place light. I figure I'll need about 20 of them slim ballasts, and a 500 Amp alternator. :smilielol::smilielol::smilielol: (I am of course joking...)