Belt Squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97tahoe

Reaction score
Hello All-
After replacing my power steering pump I have noticed a squeak after a cold start. After the vehicle warms up the squeak goes away. Before I try a few things I am just wondering if this is something obvious (with a quick and easy fix!!)

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the tension and condition of your drive belts and check the level in your power steering reservoir too.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a squeak and put a new belt, alternator, tensioner, that little pulley top center, and turned out to be the fan clutch was going bad.

that stupid squeak is coing back again though. haven't have a chance to try to locate it again yet.

yukon01

Reaction score
Same Problem

I am having the same problem. Replaced power steering pump (2nd time) at 140k miles and belt was squealing. Shop that repaired it in Breckenridge, CO used a bar of soap on belt to try to stop squeal. Worked for 5k miles but since then we have replaced the tensioner pulley once and new belt 4 times, cleaning the pulleys each time but nothing works! Squeal comes back after 4 or 5 weeks and then gets really bad when it is cold or wet. Great...winter is coming!

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a squeak aswell bought some serpentine belt spray and havent heard a thing since going on 3 weeks

97tahoe

Reaction score
belt spray seems like an easy option. Even if it needs to be done every so often, its just a simple spray!

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced the tensioner pulley and belt numerous times. Just recentely the idler pulley and even more recently the water pump, and still had a squeal. I even removed the fan and clutch. You know what fixed it?...Belt spray. I dont get it but it seems to have done the trick.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a squeak and put a new belt, alternator, tensioner, that little pulley top center, and turned out to be the fan clutch was going bad.

that stupid squeak is coing back again though. haven't have a chance to try to locate it again yet.

Did you ever find it ? i too replaced the tensioner and top pulley and its still there. Its annoying the hell out of me.

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a lot of times its a simple idler. a little dab of silicone on one spot of the belt will stop a squeal. dont need a lot at all, just put it on a small spot on the belt.

97tahoe

Reaction score
I ended up replacing the belt, tensioner and idler pulley and squeak has gone away.