Edge Evolution or Volant Intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bisignano

Reaction score
Other Edge owners please report in and clarify that you have 2WD vs 4WD.

I have a 4wd. I don't see a difference if its 2wd or 4wd. The evolution is the same. Are you referring to the mpg?

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys!
I'm with the mayority here, I called Edge ten days ago and still haven't heard nothing about my pod. As for the MPG, my Yokon is 2wd.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all this talk about the "edge" programmer makes me want to get one. Do they make one for the 5.3 liter engine?

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FCO_GONZO, are you happy with your hypertech ?? I will need to get one soon enough for re-programming my tire size. I would get just a speed recailbrater, but for another 200 or so bucks I should just get a programmer with all the features.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fro the moment I'm happy with it. I have 35 inch tires so it kind of hard for me to see an increase in horsepower.

ki4izq

Reaction score
update on pod replacement....

i called again today.. this time the tech asked me if the previous tech asked me for my credit card number. the first one didnt.... the second said thats why i havent received a new pod. they use your credit card as collateral to make sure you return the old one. he said he would send the new one out 2nd day air and provide return shipping for the old one... i dont know if this is standard or if he was trying to make up for the first tech's mistake... will expect it to arrive friday... i guess we will see....

he was full of info too....
he suggested that i run the "towing" tune for overall hp increase and mpg increase... he said for normal driving it would be great on regular gas, no need for 93 octane... also there is no need to hook the tuner to the internet for updates more than once every 6 months.... he said they dont change much its more to update the factory "files" they capture whenever chevy/gmc install new calibrations...

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They never took my credit card number or asked for the "wrong" pod back. Anybody want it for old body style? :)

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked the person I spoked with if I have to return the other pod and he told me that I didn't have to. This is weird:skep: I guess I'm going to have to call them again to find out what is going on. They didn't asked me for a credit card either.

ki4izq

Reaction score
got the pod as promised today. i was a little disappointed in the color. it was a medium gray. i used a can of krylon 1613 semi-flat black paint and painted to match my dash. matches perfectly!!!!
looks like it was oem.... now i am happy.

07TahoeNC

Reaction score
My pod is still not here. I will call Monday and try to find out what is going on. In regards to performance I have been running the extreme mode. I am not seeing an increase in gas mileage, but there is definitely more power. The gas mileage may have to do with the fact that the tahoe is a weekend car and I don't do much "easy" driving when I take it out. Has anybody done the 0-60 test and if so what type of times are you getting? In extreme mode I am around 7.6 sec. I am sure my bigger tires are slowing it down a little also.
By the way does anyone know what the stock 0-60 time is on a 5.3 w/4wd?

Greystone07

Reaction score
i have a question about this what does it do to the fuel management option on the 5.3 V8/V4 mode does this still happen with the Edge?

ki4izq

Reaction score
afm stillworks.... in economy mode its seams to go into v4 mode and stay longer... i think it seam a little annoying, it switches to often.....

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[tech from edge] suggested that i run the "towing" tune for overall hp increase and mpg increase... he said for normal driving it would be great on regular gas, no need for 93 octane...

I tried towing mode on the Edge after reading this with 87 (and update as of last week) and I experienced pinging right away when on slight inclines. For reference, I have 07 Tahoe 5.3-4WD with 285/55/20 BFGs, leveling kit, Volant and Magnaflow catback.

Maybe a 2WD with stock tires won't ping, but I would NOT recommend 87 under towing mode.

ki4izq

Reaction score
i agree with smomon....

i tried the "towing" tune for the weekend and heard pinging too...
in fact too much for my taste... i went back to the "trans" tune for now....
i cant really find a tune that makes me happy overall....
the "trans" tune shifts good but doesnt really do much if anything for power or economy....
the "economy" tune seems to give me 1.5 - 2.0 mpg better economy but the constant shifting into/out of v4 mode annoys me....
the "towing" tune feels like a little more power and according to the tech at edge is supposed to give better overall performance but has too much pinging....
i havent tried the "max" tune yet........

i am going to have to see what the cost vs benefit is if i use 93 octane to help with the pinging... i dont know if spending 20 cent a gallon more for 93 is worth gaining 2mpg.... my gut says is not.....

the jury is still out....

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you read my analysis above (post 73) I took people's numbers and figured out price-wise which is the best tune. It is the Premium fuel tune to save you some scrolling...

ki4izq

Reaction score
I just did my own quick analysis.....

i will have to average 1.2 mpg better to break even using premium vs regular.... i guess that is doable..... i also guess the "fun" factor is worth something too but i cant put a dollar amount to it.... i think i will use this current tank of regular and then fill up with premium and try the "max" tune.... 26 gallons * 0.20 = $5.20 is not life changing money.... what the heck, i might even have some fun.... since i drive about 20k mile a year i might save a whole $12.15!!!!!