Empty Space for Factory CD Player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RebelDogg

Reaction score
Just wondering what other people have done after replacing the stock head unit.

The CD player is a separate unit (under the A/C controls) For a while I just left it, but I needed to remove it not to long ago and decided to just leave it out. Now I'm trying to figure out what I can put there as it's A. ugly; and 2. a wasted space.

I've got some ideas, but I was just wondering what others have done if anything. I can't stand looking into that hole anymore, but it seemed stupid to just leave the useless CD player there.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i crammed a CB in the empty hole. you can also get the factory dash pocket off of ebay or from the dealer for under $20.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
For one customer, I installed a 5.1 DSP and he wanted the center channel in the factory cd spot. I installed the speaker and stretched spkr cloth behind the bezel in frt of the spkr. For another customer I flush mounted an older Sirius receiver. Digital voltmeter behind a sheet of tinted plexi for another truck.

OuR97HoE

Reaction score
for now we just left the cd player there =) ive almost put a cd in it a few times now! We have been thinking if we should do anything with it or just leave it there too!

ColaCanyon

Reaction score
Just buy the delete pocket off of ebay. That's what I did and mounted my bass knob from my amp to it.
IMG_0713.jpg

Hoe Sir

Reaction score
I would like to place my head unit where the cd player is. Then I would like to put a nav system where the factory radio is. Any do's or dont's or constructive imput always welcome.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your going to have to cut the dash up to make it work since the original Cd unit isn't as wide as a normal headunit. IIRC its not deep enough either.

be some work but it would be cool if done right.

Boarsheadburban

Reaction score
I did this several years ago. A din headunit will fit, but as 96procomp said, you will have to cut to get it in there.
That is the first Sony in car in navigation system in there. (relocated the HVAC controls as well)

pic2.jpg

Hoe Sir

Reaction score
Looks great BHB. Don't stop there, please show the relocated HVAC controls.

96cherry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id like to see something like that with a double din radio, but anyway A+++++ looks cool

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the stock tray that went in that compartment. I'd have to find it but I know its around here somewhere. I'm also trying to find the wire harness for the CD player that goes there. I replaced the tray with the CD player, but have no harness. Anyone have one??

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ColaCanyon...where'd you get those white needles on your gauges? I never saw those before.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ColaCanyon...where'd you get those white needles on your gauges? I never saw those before.

if i remember correctly he has a limited tahoe, they came with the white faced 120MPH guage clusters. (the fog light switch gives it away as a 2000 limited or Z71)

tahoebrotha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey does anyone have pics of maybe a 1/2 or single din equalizer installed in there? I'm sure I'm gonna have to cut the dash trim a bit but I think it'll look badass.