it would be nice to stop...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richierich78

Reaction score
Afternoon folks...

I have an '07 LTZ with 24" and low-profile tires.

I always planned on putting "performance" brakes and rotors on my baby but I was going to wait until I needed brakes and just knock it all out.

Well, the other day I almost had an accident, car in front of me made a quick stop and I had to swerve into the wrong lane to avoid hitting them. (luckily there was no oncoming traffic or cops around). I wasn't necessarily too close but I might have been going too fast (obviously) for that particular situation.

I used to drive an Explorer (which is a whole lot smaller) and it would have come to a stop a whole lot quicker. We all know the 'hoe is a big girl and she needs a lot more force to stop.

So at that point I made the decision to get the brakes and rotors more sooner than later.

What do you guys recommend as far as improving performance and specific brands to by?

Please Dad, don't say, "You shouldn't be driving so fast..." :lol:

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you shouldnt be driving so fast!

Couldnt resist.

i dont know what to do to make it stop faster.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason why its seems like you're trying to stop a tank is beacuse Aftermarket rims/tires cause OEM brake equipment to perform lower than the OEM equipment.

Try slotted or cross-drilled rotors and performance ceramic brake pads, these would be cheaper than a complete big brake kit likle the ones from Baer (www.baer.com).
www.autoanything.com and www.brakeworld.com also have some pads and rotors.

Aftermarket brake lines will also help reduce brake fade and increase brake performance.

Last edited:

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have R1 rotors, Hawk FPS pads and stainless braided lines, Tahoe stops on a dime now!!

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend checking out what Stillen has to offer in regards to performance braking systems.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the best you can do is larger diameter rotors, which should fit cool with the large wheels, as it's the increased leverage that makes it stop better. I thought larger pad surface would help, but someone said no, that's just a matter of pressing more or less hard for the same resultant ability- mostly makes sense. Braided lines helps responsiveness, but probably not so much if the old lines are still newer. I'm sure a superior pad material could help. An increase in the number of pistons would, I suppose, spread the force more evenly (and to the edges more), but I don't think that is a problem here. Slotted or drilled rotors are to increase cooling, which would help stopping distance IF the brakes are overheating from your usage- (i.e. countering brake fade). As far as brands go, the economical way is to get stock rotors/calipers from a heavier duty vehicle and retrofitting them. Aftermarket, I don't think I would waste the endeavor by buying anything other than the likes of Baer, Brembo, or Stillen. Does that "brake" it down for ya?

Last edited:

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can lock the tires (ie trigger ABS) under a panic stop, which should be no problem with the factory brake system, then all the aftermarket brake upgrades in the world are not going to shorten your stopping distances.

The big brake hardware is just jewelry.

- Mark

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We are about to put SSBC rotors and Hawk FPS pads with stainless brake lines on the SSS. We have been very happy with the R1 Concepts Premium rotors on the Tahoe, but figured we would make a comparision.

tbully

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can lock the tires (ie trigger ABS) under a panic stop, which should be no problem with the factory brake system, then all the aftermarket brake upgrades in the world are not going to shorten your stopping distances.

- Mark

2nd that.

The "bigger" hardware would dissipate heat better but heat is not your enemy in an emergency situation unless you just finished with a bunch of heavy braking.

What is the condition of your tires? Tires have just as much (probably more) to do with brake performance than the hardware itself.

2 cents....

richierich78

Reaction score

- Mark

2nd that.

The "bigger" hardware would dissipate heat better but heat is not your enemy in an emergency situation unless you just finished with a bunch of heavy braking.

I was along the lines of everyone else that larger rotors and performance pads/system would improve stopping power. Why do you guys disagree? My ABS didn't engage. (I would imagine because the road conditions were favorable and I wasn't going that fast)

What is the condition of your tires? Tires have just as much (probably more) to do with brake performance than the hardware itself.

2 cents....

Tires are in great shape. I check them regularly and (because of some damn nails :mad:) 2 of them are less than 6 months old and the others are about 10 months.

tbully

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was along the lines of everyone else that larger rotors and performance pads/system would improve stopping power. Why do you guys disagree? My ABS didn't engage. (I would imagine because the road conditions were favorable and I wasn't going that fast)

Tires are in great shape. I check them regularly and (because of some damn nails :mad:) 2 of them are less than 6 months old and the others are about 10 months.

If your ABS did not engage then, yes, larger rotors and calipers may help. However, the most important part of a breaking system are good tires which is why I made my original post. While I haven't stood on the brakes yet, I would hope that they would be good enough to engage the ABS even on dry pavement. Even at a moderate speed, 6000lbs is enough energy to overcome the tire's ability to grip, I would think.

Maybe I'm wrong. It happens all the time. :eek:

I would like to see the mod done. I'll admit that big rotors and calipers is almost always a good looking upgrade / feature.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
As stated in a couple earlier posts, if your braking system is good enough to trigger the abs, then the only advantage you'll have with a larger system is less wear and pad changes, less fade, and more bling factor. Stopping distance will remain almost the same. On the other hand, if you can't trigger the abs during hard braking, then your stopping distance has increased and I'd definitely look into upgrading.
When I swapped over to my 24s, I couldn't trigger the abs unless the road surface was slippery. I installed a larger brake kit and it now easily triggers the abs and feels like it's going to put you into the windshield.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Can someone explain why he can't trigger the ABS on a hard, dry surface?
Larger wheel combos are a lot heavier than stock. Once the momentum is there, it's much harder to stop the wheels from spinning. And with a larger diameter and wider tire, there's a larger contact patch, therefore more grip. Sometimes the stock system can't grab the rotors hard enough to stop the larger, heavier wheels and stickier tires good enough to cause them to skid and activate the abs system.