Speedometer reads 0 MPH while driving!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwrstroker00

Reaction score
Hello All,

My wife tells me the speedometer is reading 0 MPH while she is driving down the road!!! She's mentioned this before, but when I get in it to check it out, the speedometer seems to be working fine.

Is there a speed sensor in the rear differential housing that may be going bad?
I do have a Hypertech programmer running on it right now. Think that may be part of the problem?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The speedometers always break in the trucks around your/my year. It tends to get stuck in one place like you are saying but it won't happen all the time. You'll have to bring it to the dealer and let them rip it out to fix it.

This happened to me. It's also happening now in my neighbor's '05 Suburban.

This may have been a factory recall at one point, or at least it should be. Be sure that you tell the dealer that this is a huge safety issue so maybe they could at least meet you halfway on the price.

scott99zx6r

Reaction score
Yeah I'm having the same problem. There is a tsb on it and as long as you're under 7/70 the dealer will replace it under an extended warranty. Should get mine done this week. Just call and tell them whats up and you'll have to go there so they can get the part number from the cluster w/ a scan tool. Then they'll order it up and take care of ya.