transmission issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Klassix

Reaction score
Once in a while after I stop at a red light my truck will come to a good stop for about maybe 1-2 seconds then it will ram forward what feels to be about an inch then stop again while my foot is still pressed firmly on the break. I am wondering if it could be the transmission acting up or what else it could be.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine does that occasionally. Do you think it could be the Ujoints?? i put my truck on my lift and you can move the drive shaft a little both ways and like its got some play in it, but we cant figure out what it is..i have the same issue bud, and im looking for the answer.. idk what it is.. does it happen when u let go of the brake and your just about to accelerate?? thats the only times mine do it.. : / idk man.

oceancon

Reaction score
my son's truck is doing that and we also got the dreaded P1870 code - meaning the tranny is going....or some part of it is- valve body, boost valve...

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really?? i have a trouble code that is going on. I havnt found out what is it yet tho.. im to lazy to get the paper clip out.. It goes on maybe 10 to 15 min of driving. it doesnt come right on.. and please tell me that yours isnt doing the same thing as mine.. or else its time to sell.. maybe illl check the code tonite.. thanks

Klassix

Reaction score
My engine light comes on once in a while as well, normaly on start up and when I idel in trafic for a few minutes it comes on for 2-3 minutes then buggers off. When I go up a steep hill or am booting it about 140 you can feel the truck starting to hesitate but no engine light. I took the truck in and the mechanic said it was a slight miss fire in one of my cylenders - most likley a sticky valve. Just wondering if all this could be realted or it's lots of small(ha) issues.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im gunna check mine before i say anymore.. but i forgot how too.. any help on doing so??

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC 95 and back were all OBD1, you can get the little code reader from advance for $30.

or you can jump 2 of the pins in the computer port. (don't know which ones they are off the top of my head) it'll make the SES light flash which gives you the code.

thats how the OBD1 in the camaro works neway.

Rebound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine does that occasionally. Do you think it could be the Ujoints?? i put my truck on my lift and you can move the drive shaft a little both ways and like its got some play in it, but we cant figure out what it is..i have the same issue bud, and im looking for the answer.. idk what it is.. does it happen when u let go of the brake and your just about to accelerate?? thats the only times mine do it.. : / idk man.

If I remember right, this is a tranny issue. The tranny program is out of whack, and "forgets" to downshift all the way when you're stopped. Then it "suddenly" remembers, and downshifts - WHACK!

That's what you're feeling. The dealer should be able to reprogram it and "fix" the problem.

oceancon

Reaction score
I think on OBD I vehicles you need to do the paper clip thing to get codes - google it for the procedure - the readers for OBD I cars are big money - the OBDII's are the cheap ones.

in any case, the thunking is the slipping TCC and the valve bodies are known bad points with these trans. IF you have a lot of miles (> 100,000) its better to just rebuild the trans. If you just replace the valvle body and accumulator,you will likely be back in 30,000 for a rebuild anyway...

this is what I'm getting from the trans guys

Klassix

Reaction score
If I remember right, this is a tranny issue. The tranny program is out of whack, and "forgets" to downshift all the way when you're stopped. Then it "suddenly" remembers, and downshifts - WHACK!

That's what you're feeling. The dealer should be able to reprogram it and "fix" the problem.

I phoned GM and they said that doesn't really make any sense but to to have the computer reprogram its self he said to unhook the battery for the night and it will reprogram its self later and to check the transmission fluid but he said it sounds like the transmission is starting to go.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm.. yea i checked the trouble codes and its reading like an oxygen sensor and something else.. nothing with tranny issues.. My batterys been disconnected for over a year and well idk.. lol.. im gunna check thr fluids and such.. my hoes got 88,000 miles on it..

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right now i used the paper clip. they dont have readers for obd1 do they>?? thanks

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like an abs problem. i have had this happen a few times on mine. it brakes fine until it slows down under 10 mph, then then brakes give a skipping, slidding feel. if you feather the pedal or push a bit firmer maybe you can stop it from happening. what ive found is the front abs sensors build up dirt and junk on them, especially where it mounts to the spindle. remove the abs sensor mounting bolt and clean the area on the spindle where it mounts to, as weell as the sensor itself. do this to both front sensors. mone has had this two or three times and it has been rectified every time by doing what i mentioned. easy fix, takes maybe 30-60 mins to do both.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks mygreen, but i still think its coming from the rear end somewhere. its right when i let off the brakes to start going it clunks (like shifts) over or something.. i have no idea.. and to colabella- my lights dont dim?? : /