How many are happy with the 07/08 Tahoe?

How well do you like the New Tahoe/Yukon?

• Absoluetly love this truck, and would get another one in a heartbeat!

Votes: 308 64.7%
  • I loke it ok, but some things need improvement.

Votes: 136 28.6%
  • not what I thought it would be.

Votes: 17 3.6%
  • woulden't buy another one, would buy somthing else.

Votes: 15 3.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wild oats

Reaction score
I like the new Tahoes a lot, but I do think some things need improvement. First off, the 4 speed tranny is terrible. I've hated it on all four Tahoes we have had. Second, I don't buy these things for gas mileage, but the new one actually does worse than both of our old body style Tahoes have done.

All in all, I like the new body style a lot, but that's not to say that I would buy the NBS if they still made the old. I just prefer the drive and the interior of the old body style to the new. The exterior of the 2007- body style looks awesome, though.

You took the words right out of my mouth !!..
I'd take my black 05 z back in a heart beat...two miles per gallon better too..

wild oats

Reaction score
NO, would not buy another, Just me though, I liked my 05 z71 better, felt cozier, nimble,..15mpg instead of now 13.5.., I thought the '08 would be better, It just looks better. It didn't need the 450 lbs weight, and 4" longer either..

LREHP

Reaction score
Well im a Newb on this site but i've been reading some of the posts on the new Tahoes and its good to see so many good reviews...I've been test driving a few and hope to get one soon.
Any complaints so far when they get up in the mileage?
Im looking at used ones with like 20-30k, which I know is not a lot. Does anyone have 60-70 or 80k on em yet?
thanks a lot

houstontexas

Reaction score
Just got a used 07 LT3 last week and I'm extremely happy I purchased used than buying brand new. Got a great deal with extended warranty. Been researching Tahoe's and other "comparable" cars (mainly Sequoia's, Q7's, Touareg, and Yukons) but it came down to overall value and comfort.. and of course the enthusiast forums that help you along the way.

KC8RXQ

Reaction score
I still like it

We purchased the '07 Yukon to take a vacation 'out West' last June and the vehicle performed beautifully. To date however, I've had the following to take care of and for the most part the local GMC dealership has bent over backwards to take care of things:

1. Rear driver and passerger side window moldings kept popping loose. Dealership replaced the moldings and washed the vehicle.

2. Transmission noise during slow acceleration. Dealership "flashed" the module and no problems since.

3. Kept hearing a high-pitched whistling sound at most speeds, except acceleration. Dealership replaced the belt pulleys and the alternator but the problem still persisted. Just a couple of weeks ago they found out GM was working on the problem but didn't have a fix. It may be something to do with the power steering but nothing has been determined at this time. It doesn't affect driving but if you have really good hearing it becomes an annoyance.

4. Transmission seal "weep" that was fixed by the dealership.

5. The GM molded mud guards were installed soon after I bought the Yukon. During our "out West" trip I kept hearing a popping noise in the front left area of the vehicle. I thought it was a loose harness or something in the engine compartment. Well, after 15 months of hunting, the service tech finally checked the left front mud guard. It was installed incorrectly and was binding up against the running board. So, when driving a highway speeds, the air flow would cause enough strain to move the guard. Now for the good part, the tech looked at all of the mud guards and they have vibrated/flexed enough to wear the paint down to bare metal. I'm waiting on the GM Area Service folks to figure out what to do.

6. GM needs to do a better design on the blind spot caused by the right - rear bucket seats. It's almost impossible to see past the headrest and I don't trust the mirrors. I can live with that; all I need to do is make sure I don't have to back out of strange or poorly lit spaces.

7. My 1999 Yukon SLT2 had the 5.7L engine and a 3.73 rear end. It had a pewter exterior and a maroon/wine interior which I've yet to see repeated. It was a great combination and I wish GM would bring it back. Also the '99 Yukon got better highway gas mileage but I guess since it was my first Yukon, it's like a first love...

Would I get another? You betcha, regardless of the gas prices.

My appologies for the wordiness.

melroy

Reaction score
Hi i'm new here and love the site. I bought an 08 Tahoe LT3 new and love it. I have a few small complaints though. Ihave around 8000 miles on it now and the interior rattles pretty bad. The plasticy interior seems like it scuffs and scracthes easily. I took it to nortern wisconsin to go hunting and had to go down some muddy roads. so I had a little fun to see how she handled. nothing too serious. she handled great. no suprise. Had an 04 Lt that was great. Anyways the ABS and stabilitrack light came on. I took to dealership and they said some mud got into the sensor and they weren't going to cover under warranty. After some bitchin and complainin I talked to the general manager who honored the warranty. It's 4wd, don't they expect that some people actuacly buy these vehicles to use them for what they were intended for other than haulin kids or groceries. I think it's a poor design on GM's part if a little mud is going to knock out a sensor. just my 2 cents. I do love the vehicle though.

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive a '07 Tahoe for work so I had a year or so to test drive one. Work vehicle is a base 2wd model police package and it has some serious giddy-up. At higher speeds though it feels a little poor at handling---it seems to rock back and forth a bit. I ended up getting the '08 Yukon XL SLT 4WD which feels like a completely different ride. Granted ,the SLT model with a "premium smooth ride suspension" is different then a base Tahoe (with black rubber flooring,no carpet) .That said, I love my Yukon which has almost 3000 miles on it now and no problems to report. The DVD/NAV is a pleasure and plenty of room for the kids for long rides. I hope to get 10 years or so out of this vehicle and feel it is made for long term ownership.

02HOLS

Reaction score
Love the truck in a million ways but 1 thing bothers me
I have a 1LT and upgraded the radio to the bose with 6 CD and my kids portable radio is louder i can have a conversation with someone in the back with the radio almost full blast...
But the 20's and towing i added are Awsome ,,,
i just could not see spending 2200 for a GPS radio and camera that i could get OEM for under 700 Dollars..

has anyone had any thoughts about what could be wrong with this scenario? My buddy has an 06 and has the same exact problem. We sometimes would rather be in my '02 because my stereo(factory/not bose) is seriously 3 times louder. we just can figure it out...:confused2:

SR07

Reaction score
ok heres the breakdown... some songs on full blast can blow ur eardrums to shreads (with ipod that is) and others tend to sound crappy and could use a little more trebble...in comparison,, the system in my cousins 05 denali consists of the same number of speakers but the trebble is twice as loud..i mean literally unbearable (full blast)... it does, however lack the bass that i have in my tahoe
just my .02

clembobr

Reaction score
the 07 tahoe is a vast improvement over the old models. They finally got the brakes to work. the sterring and the shifting is nice, even though my tranny was rebuilt at 2000 miles. The interior, and fit and finish is much better. The stereo actually is loud. What chevy needs to do is make the 4x4 look like a 4x4 (lift the front) and improve the front ground clearance. Also the new engine needs to improve to it's stated mileage.

Armycop

Reaction score
Lesse: Bought my 08 Yukon SLT 4x4 w/ tow package in March 2008, Midnite Blue/Black interior. Have put 14K on it since then, lots of towing during the summer/fall (trailer, corvette, Xtras in the cargo bay-6000lbs. est). Tows great, good power through all types of roads. Averaged 12-13mpg on the highway using cruze control during these stints. Stereo sounds real good, I like XM so far too.
Leather seats are durable, and surprisingly easy to keep clean. Could use more seat travel up front (6'4", long legs). HVAC works well. I like the On-Demand AWD and remote select 4WD HI/LO knob. Travels very well in snow, ice and rain. Traction control is annoying, but I can turn it off to take advantage of 4WD.
Gripes: The drivers window squeals like a stuck pig when going up. Really annoying, but my GMMP will take care of that (zero deductable). This weekend my window washing system stopped working, but a quick diagnostic by my dealer determined the fluid had frozen in the lines. They even gave me a full bottle of cleaner!
Paint job is showing swirl marks in the clearcoat already. I'm not easy on the paint, granted (car washes in the winter), but I'm hoping a good wax will take away the swirls. MPG figures are optimistic on the dealer sheet; I haven't seen 19 mpg hiway since owning it. The best I've done is 17.6mpg hiway, 70mph, using cruise alot.

All in all, a good replacement of my 2001 Yukon, which did everything I asked for in style and comfort, for 109,000 miles. Sold it privately for $8,200.00

pakiarab

Reaction score
this is the first time i bought a tahoe..... i loved it its amazing.. the only dissapointing in this suv is the gear shifts its too slow compare to other 4x4s...... the rest i love it

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other that front end issue which is my own fault, Im OK with the Tahoe,but in February of 2010 the Tahoe is history.
Going with a New Camaro with an LS3. Once a performance nut always a performance nut....!!
I'm, giving GM a year to work out any bugs. Hopefully they'll still be in business.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that, but I know that. What I meant was a way to turn the auto wiper feature off completely...just operate the wipers the normal way. I have heard others complain about the "auto" operation of these.

I hear ya. Mine have never worked worth a crap either.:mad:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. My 2002 TrailBlazer had RainSense wipers and they worked great unlike these. Don't know what they did but they screwed the pooch.

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 2007, closing in on 105k on the odometer and it feels good everytime I turn the key!!!!

Guardian

Reaction score
Good Dealership

I have 25,300 miles on my '08 Z71 Tahoe. Just recently I was having some unusual noises that have increased over time. My traction control light came on briefly the other day and I had an intermitten sound like a door dragging open coming from the front end.

I took the Z to my dealer since it's still under warranty and asked them to fix the traction control and the vent door or whatever. I also asked them to test drive the vehicle and see if they were hearing the same noise I was.

Well they had a mechanic go for a ride with me and he heard the same noise. Come to find out, my front end alignment was really wacky and it had warped my tires to the point they were cupping badly and making a terrible racket! I told my service consultant that I had brought my Z in to this dealership 3 times (every 7K miles) for routine service and no one had mentioned that I needed a wheel alignment or that my tires were wearing badly! Additionally, no one had recommend a tire rotation. I also told him that my Lexus dealer just routinely did tire rotations and certainly told me when or if I needed a wheel alignment.

This story has a very happy ending. The dealership put me in a rental (an '09 Suburban) at their expense for two days while they worked on my Z. When they finally called me in, I thought I was going to have a huge bill since they said the tires would have to be replaced. To my surprise, I got four brand new A/T tires at NO COST. They fixed the traction control problem at NO COST and the vent door at NO COST. I only paid for a wheel balancing and front end alignment and that's it.

My Z now runs as quiet as it did the day I bought it and I'm sitting on four band new tires! I didn't think that tires where covered under warranty so after putting 25K+ miles on them, I figured I'd have to pay something but nope, didn't pay nada! :D :D :D

I love my Z and will be driving it for a long time to come.

wild oats

Reaction score
like the '08?

Had one one month !!..hated it !!!, ..Z71, loaded, ..500 ilbs heavier than the 2005,...seats awful, felt like a bus, .. luckily sold it , went out and found a '06 Z71, 30,000 miles, to replace my original '05 z71 80,000 miles. I should of drove a new one before the purchase, new ones they only look nice. handle like a suburban.