2007 Yukon Fog Light Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbrend

Reaction score
I am using the following setup with NO heat issues thus far:

1) Lens: ABS plastic OE assembly.
2) Housing: ABS plastic OE assembly.
3) Bulbs: Xenon high-intensity discharge (HID) system @ 5000K with 9005 bulbs, modified to fit into the OE fog housings, with ballasts and dedicated wiring harness, purchased from mikemjohnson on here via www.higherlevelauto.com.

Thank you!!!!!

Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you!!!!

You're most welcome. I edited my earlier response to add one or two more pieces of information:

1) Lens: ABS plastic OE assembly.
2) Housing: ABS plastic OE assembly.
3) Bulbs: Xenon high-intensity discharge (HID) system @ 5000K with 9005 bulbs, modified to fit into the OE fog housings, with ballasts and dedicated wiring harness, purchased from mikemjohnson on here via www.higherlevelauto.com. Bulbs are carefully modified according to the very first post of this thread (external links).
4) Connectors: Modified OE harness connection with 9005 socket on passenger side (you could do both sides if you want), to accommodate the 9005 HID kit + harness, according to the second post of this thread.

tbrend

Reaction score
Can I use an 880 HID bulb or do I have to use a 9005 bulb like you did?

Any idea?

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't tested an 880 in the OE housing. The one and only tested option I'm comfortable with if you want to do this is to modify a 9005. We can all thank GM for their retarded PS24W stock bulb selection.

Last edited:

tbrend

Reaction score
Great!

Now it is time to get irritated.

Can I use my OEM wire into the HID ballast and then use a 9005 socket out of the ballast to the OEM housing?

If so, where did you pick up the socket? I will do both sides.

Thanks in advance!

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great!

Now it is time to get irritated.

Can I use my OEM wire into the HID ballast and then use a 9005 socket out of the ballast to the OEM housing?

If so, where did you pick up the socket? I will do both sides.

Thanks in advance!

Not that it really matters, but both sides of mine are done (from the failed previous version of this mod using halogen lights). The 9005 sockets/connectors are an easy find at the usual chain auto parts stores in (gasp!) the electrical section. Don't forget the butt-crimps (heh-heh) and the crimper if you don't already have them, unless of course you're soldering and taping.

The HID kit will come with a harness with the proper 9005 bulb-end connector on it that you'll use to connect to the ballasts, and run power from the battery. This harness uses the re-wired OE (now 9005) fog connector to trip the harness relay to ignite and power the ballasts over the dedicated harness wiring. [Like I said previously, the only issue I had with the harness was finding a good ground. I had to extend the harness ground to reach a known good chassis ground (bolted under the cross-brace adjacent to the wiper fluid reservoir). This is the same place I grounded my HID headlight system, and it worked great the first time, and continues to work great.]

The ballasts then connect directly (via unique clip type connectors) to the HID bulbs. Mike has instructions for all this HID harness stuff on his site if you aren't following me... (www.higherlevelauto.com)

Good luck, and post some pics when you're done!

jsted2

Reaction score
Has anyone tried any fog light upgrades on a 07 tahoe yet? I think that the fog lights are even smaller than the yukon. Not sure though can anyone confirm this?

tbrend

Reaction score
I am going to.

See the info about 3-4 post above this.

jsted2

Reaction score
tbrend
Please let us know how your mod goes. I aminterested in doing the same just don't want to destroy my current lights. Wish I could find fogs that are glass and fit the stock location. That would be the best way to do it no chance of melting.

tbrend

Reaction score
On the first page of this thread, someone said they found metal/glass lights that fit at Walmart.

Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to...

Hey tbrend, maybe I'm confused, but I assumed you have a Yukon. Is that true, or not?

If you have a Tahoe, I do not know 100% what bulb you need to use to fit into the fog housing. I am reasonably sure that an 880 is too long to properly fit into the Yukon fog housing. Is the Tahoe fog housing the same as a Yukon's? I dunno; can someone confirm? The Yukon housing is 4" round, has two posts with integrated retaining clips and one long post with a beam-angle adjuster and integrated retaining clip. Comes with a PS24W bulb, and the housing and bulb are part number 15839896. They have "948415 CAV#4" printed on the back. The Tahoe's look similar, but again, can someone confirm 100%?

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey tbrend, maybe I'm confused, but I assumed you have a Yukon. Is that true, or not?

If you have a Tahoe, I do not know 100% what bulb you need to use to fit into the fog housing. I am reasonably sure that an 880 is too long to properly fit into the Yukon fog housing. Is the Tahoe fog housing the same as a Yukon's? I dunno; can someone confirm? The Yukon housing is 4" round, has two posts with integrated retaining clips and one long post with a beam-angle adjuster and integrated retaining clip. Comes with a PS24W bulb, and the housing and bulb are part number 15839896. They have "948415 CAV#4" printed on the back. The Tahoe's look similar, but again, can someone confirm 100%?

that ps24W bulb is generic across the gmt 900 world and even the gmc acadia and sierra.

how ever, the 880 bulb with some modifications WILL fit in a gmt 900 tahoe (except z71)

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
STILL no heat issues!

Mod's been done for nearly two weeks, and there's NO issues to report. Things are just fine so far!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mod's been done for nearly two weeks, and there's NO issues to report. Things are just fine so far!

reason you had issues with the silverstars were that those were 60watts, the hids are only 35 if that, i dont think you will ever see an issue as your wattage is not much higher than stock and in a gmt 800 32 is the wattage so even less risk.

bmwman3241

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I am going to order the 6000K McCulloch H13/9008 Bi-Xenon HID Kit and either the 4300k or the 5000k kit (www.higherlevelauto.com)for my fog lamps. Is there any color difference in the 2 or just brightness. Also is there a big difference in the 2. I like to keep my fog lights on while I drive at night because it looks nice. I have an 07 yukon xl denali.
Please give me suggestions

hbrbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bmw-

Both my kits are McCullough, I have a 5300K in the lights and a 3000K kit in the fogs. Your vendor should have a Kelvin color chart. I had a 6000K McCulllough in a bike and thought it was too blue..............

I can snap some night pics if you want.

P1150105.jpg

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want 'em to match and have the best light output and not be too "blue", then stick with 5300K in the headlights and 5000K in the fogs (unless you can find 5300K of course). 4300K is getting towards the yellow, but is still VERY bright and has the most usable light output. Here's a link to a color temperature chart that should help you understand how this works. many people say that yellow lights in the fogs help better with inclement weather, and I'm sure hbrbmx has some insight into that. I appreciate the extra light for driving, but I confess I haven't used the HID fogs in any real inclement weather yet.

In case you missed it at the bottom of the first page of this thread, here's a few shots of mine again.

From L to R:

1) Side view, crazy amount of light from these puppies
2) Angle view, more impressive
3) The mother ship has landed!

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Color temperature chart

From Wikipedia, for easy reference here. Click the image to view the article. The color temperature is the black arc through the middle of the graph, with the hash marks on it.